Looking northeast towards Lake Erie and Cleveland's Warehouse District.
In the foreground is the Union Terminal Viaduct, constructed to funnel passenger trains to the Union Terminal underneath the Terminal Tower. Prior to widespread usage of diesel train engines, passenger trains arriving at the station had their coal-fired engines replaced with electric-powered units at switching yards in Collinwood and Linndale. While passenger trains no longer use the bridge, rapid transit cars for Cleveland's RTA continue to use it.
The Detroit–Superior Bridge, a 3,112 foot long through arch bridge. The bridge links Detroit Avenue on Cleveland's west side and Superior Avenue on Cleveland's east side, terminating west of Public Square. Construction by the King Bridge Company began in 1914 and completed in 1918, at a cost of $5.4 million. It was the first fixed high level bridge in Cleveland, and the third high level bridge above the Cuyahoga. At the time of its completion, the bridge was the largest steel and concrete reinforced bridge in the world.
Behind the bridges are the buildings of the Warehouse District, most of which have been converted to apartments and offices. Located at the juncture of the Cuyahoga River, Ohio Canal, Lake Erie and multiple railroads, this neighborhood became a major transit point for cargo in the 19th century.
This is a high-quality 8x10 print, ready for framing. Photo ships within a few days of the order via USPS. All rights are reserved by the photographer and the photo cannot be reproduced without the written permission.