Taylor Road Synagogue (Oheb Zedek) was founded in 1904 and incorporated 5 other small to medium-sized Orthodox congregations in the early 1950s. Over 40 Hungarian Jews, many of whom had left Congregation B'Nai Jeshurun in a dispute over mixed seating, formed Oheb Zedek. In 1905 the congregation purchased property at E. 38th and Scovill and began building a synagogue, completed in September of that year. By 1915 the congregation operated a branch in Glenville near 107th and Superior for those members who had moved. A new synagogue was dedicated at Parkwood and Morrison streets in Glenville in 1922.
In the mid-1940s, the congregation purchased land just north of Cain Park, as by then approximately half of their membership lived in Cleveland Heights. The new building, designed by architect Milo Holdstein, was constructed in four phases, with the last element, classrooms and a youth center being finished in 1959
In 1952 Oheb Zedek merged with Chibas Jerusalem to form the 500-member Taylor Road Synagogue. In 1953 the Parkwood property was sold and in 1955 the new synagogue dedicated. During that 2-year period, Taylor Road Synagogue completed mergers with Agudath B'nai Israel Anshe Sfard (1953), Agudath Achim (1953), Shaaray Torah (1955), and Knesseth Israel (1955).
This is a high-quality 8x10 print, ready for framing. Photo ships within a few days of the order via USPS. All rights are reserved by the photographer and the photo cannot be reproduced without written permission.