Looking south along the Cleveland RTA's Waterfront Line. The Waterfront Line opened in 1996 in conjunction with the city's bicentennial, utilizing the same light-rail cars operating on the RTA's Green and Blue Lines. The line follows railroad right-of-way formerly used by the New York Central and the Nickel Plate (New York, Chicago & St. Louis) railroads to service the warehouses and industries in the flats, a route dating back to the 1850s.
The 2.2 mile extension has not seen the utilization hoped for by its planners and any extension of the line beyond its terminus has not gained traction, likely due to the ridership shortcomings coupled with the high cost per mile of fixed rail lines. The back of the buildings in the photo face onto Old River Road and include Samsel Supply, a construction, industrial and maritime supply company.
In the background is the Detroit–Superior Bridge, a through arch bridge over the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland. The bridge links Detroit Avenue on Cleveland's west side and Superior Avenue on Cleveland's east side, ending west of Public Square. Construction by the King Bridge Company began in 1914 and completed in 1918. It was the first fixed high level bridge in Cleveland. At its completion, the bridge was the largest steel and concrete reinforced bridge in the world. The bridge's lower level was originally designed for use by streetcars
This is a high-quality 8x10 print, ready for framing. Photo ships within a few days of the order via USPS. All rights are reserved by the photographer and the photo cannot be reproduced without written permission.